Re: Plan to support Rockchip VPU in DRM, is it a good idea

From: Randy Li
Date: Fri Aug 26 2016 - 06:13:28 EST

On 08/26/2016 05:34 PM, Hans Verkuil wrote:
Hi Randi,

On 08/26/2016 04:13 AM, Randy Li wrote:
Hello,
We always use some kind of hack work to make our Video Process
Unit(Multi-format Video Encoder/Decoder) work in kernel. From a
customize driver(vpu service) to the customize V4L2 driver. The V4L2
subsystem is really not suitable for the stateless Video process or it
could make driver too fat.
After talking to some kindness Intel guys and moving our userspace
library to VA-API driver, I find the DRM may the good choice for us.
But I don't know whether it is welcome to to submit a video driver in
DRM subsystem?
Also our VPU(Video process unit) is not just like the Intel's, we
don't have VCS, we based on registers to set the encoder/decoder. I
think we may need a lots of IOCTL then. Also we do have a IOMMU in VPU
but also not a isolated memory for VPU, I don't know I should use TT
memory or GEM memory.
I am actually not a member of the department in charge of VPU, and I
am just beginning to learning DRM(thank the help from Intel again), I am
not so good at memory part as well(I am more familiar with CMA not the
IOMMU way), I may need know guide about the implementations when I am
going to submit driver, I hope I could get help from someone.

It makes no sense to do this in the DRM subsystem IMHO. There are already
quite a few HW codecs implemented in the V4L2 subsystem and more are in the
pipeline. Putting codec support in different subsystems will just make
userspace software much harder to write.

One of the codecs that was posted to linux-media was actually from Rockchip:

https://lkml.org/lkml/2016/2/29/861

There is also a libVA driver (I think) that sits on top of it:

https://github.com/rockchip-linux/rockchip-va-driver/tree/v4l2-libvpu
It is old version, I am the author of this
https://github.com/rockchip-linux/rockchip-va-driver

For the Allwinner a patch series was posted yesterday:

https://lkml.org/lkml/2016/8/25/246

They created a pretty generic libVA userspace that looks very promising at
first glance.

What these have in common is that they depend on the Request API and Frame API,
neither of which has been merged. The problem is that the Request API requires
more work since not only controls have to be part of a request, but also formats,
selection rectangles, and even dynamic routing changes. While that is not relevant
for codecs, it is relevant for Android CameraHAL in general and complex devices
like Google's Project Ara.
Actually just as the Intel did, our hardware decoder/encoder need full settings for them, most of them are relevant to the codec. You may notice that there is four extra control need to be set before. If the libvpu(a helper library we offered to parse each slice to generate decoder settings) is remove(in process now, only three decoder settings can't got from VA-API directly), it would be more clearly.
We really a lots decoder settings information to make the decoder work.

This is being worked on, but it is simply not yet ready. The core V4L2 developers
involved in this plan to discuss this on the Monday before the ELCE in Berlin,
to see if we can fast track this work somehow so this support can be merged.

I am glad to hear that. I hope that I could have an opportunity to show our problems.
If there are missing features in V4L2 (other that the two APIs discussed above)
that prevent you from creating a good driver, then please discuss that with us.
We are always open to suggestions and improvements and want to work with you on
that.
I have a few experience with the s5p-mfc, and I do wrote a V4L2 encoder plugin for Gstreamer. I don't think the V4L2 is good place for us stateless video processor, unless it would break the present implementation.

The stateful and stateless are operated quite differently. The stateless must parse the header and set those settings for every frames.
The request data may quite different from vendor to vendor, even chip to chip. It is impossible to make a common way to send those settings to driver.For the samsung MFC, you don't need to do any parse work at all.
Anyway, I would like to follow what Intel does now, we are both stateless video processor.

Regards,

Hans