Re: Kernel Freeze with American Megatrends BIOS

From: Roland Singer
Date: Tue Aug 30 2016 - 11:28:24 EST

I tried these scenarios:

1. Booted the system without the bbswitch module. The nouveau module
was loaded and is responsible for the power management of the GPU.
The graphical session freezes after some minutes...

2. Booted the system without bbswitch and with nouveau blacklisted.
Manually loaded bbswitch to switch off the discrete GPU.
Same freeze after a while or by explicitly obtaining the GPU state.

Is there a possibility to switch off the discrete card without bbswitch?
If this is possible, then I could test this without nouveau and bbswitch
at all. If the system hangs, then it is not the video driver nor bbswitch.

Am 30.08.2016 um 16:08 schrieb Emil Velikov:
> On 30 August 2016 at 14:06, Bjorn Helgaas <helgaas@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 12:08:57PM +0200, Roland Singer wrote:
>>> Thanks for pointing it out.
>>>
>>> Yeah that's right. The system will hang randomly a few minutes later,
>>> because some certain actions in the graphical user session will trigger
>>> the freeze.
>>>
>>> I had a look at the function body of pci_read_config_dword:
>>>
>>> #define PCI_OP_READ(size, type, len) \
>>> int pci_bus_read_config_##size \
>>> (struct pci_bus *bus, unsigned int devfn, int pos, type *value) \
>>> { \
>>> int res; \
>>> unsigned long flags; \
>>> u32 data = 0; \
>>> if (PCI_##size##_BAD) return PCIBIOS_BAD_REGISTER_NUMBER; \
>>> raw_spin_lock_irqsave(&pci_lock, flags); \