Re: [RFC,PATCH] VMWARE faults on accessing disabled counters

From: Peter Zijlstra
Date: Wed Aug 31 2016 - 09:41:14 EST

On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 03:19:24PM +0200, Jiri Olsa wrote:

> I guess if real HW does not fault on this we dont need to bother,
> and treat it as the VMWARE issue.. but I couldn't find this info

So I've once had a machine that backlisted one entry, but I've forgotten
what machine that was. But IIRC, you could program the thing just fine,
the results were crap though, which is why CPUID blacklisted the
counter.

/me pokes around some code...

Ah, see the AAJ80 code. That was some Nehalem part and the comment very
much implies programming the value 'works', you just get crap results.