Re: Kernel panic - encryption/decryption failed when open file on Arm64

From: xiakaixu
Date: Fri Sep 09 2016 - 06:21:14 EST

Hi,

After a deeply research about this crash, seems it is a specific
bug that only exists in armv8 board. And it occurs in this function
in arch/arm64/crypto/aes-glue.c.

static int ctr_encrypt(struct blkcipher_desc *desc, struct scatterlist *dst,
struct scatterlist *src, unsigned int nbytes)
{

desc->flags &= ~CRYPTO_TFM_REQ_MAY_SLEEP;
blkcipher_walk_init(&walk, dst, src, nbytes);
err = blkcipher_walk_virt_block(desc, &walk, AES_BLOCK_SIZE); ---> page allocation failed

while ((blocks = (walk.nbytes / AES_BLOCK_SIZE))) { ----> walk.nbytes = 0, and skip this loop
aes_ctr_encrypt(walk.dst.virt.addr, walk.src.virt.addr,
(u8 *)ctx->key_enc, rounds, blocks, walk.iv,
first);
err = blkcipher_walk_done(desc, &walk,
walk.nbytes % AES_BLOCK_SIZE);
}
if (nbytes) { ----> enter this if() statement
u8 *tdst = walk.dst.virt.addr + blocks * AES_BLOCK_SIZE;
u8 *tsrc = walk.src.virt.addr + blocks * AES_BLOCK_SIZE;

aes_ctr_encrypt(tail, tsrc, (u8 *)ctx->key_enc, rounds, ----> the the sencond input parameter is NULL, so crash...
blocks, walk.iv, first);
}
}

If the page allocation failed in the function blkcipher_walk_virt_block(),
the variable walk.nbytes = 0, so it will skip the while() loop and enter
the if(nbytes) statment. But here the varibale tsrc is NULL and it is also
the sencond input parameter of the function aes_ctr_encrypt()... Kernel Panic...

I have also researched the similar function in other architectures, and
there if(walk.nbytes) is used, not this if(nbytes) statement in the armv8.
so I think this armv8 function ctr_encrypt() should deal with the page
allocation failed situation.

Regards
Kaixu Xia