Re: [patch v5] i2c: mux: mellanox: add driver

From: Peter Rosin
Date: Wed Sep 14 2016 - 07:18:27 EST

Wolfram, please pick up v5 for i2c-next whenever timing is right so that
it gets more testing etc. I didn't do any recent compile-testing myself,
but if you think that is required on the final version I can of course
spend some time on it. (But isn't that what all the infrastructure is
there to help with?) Thanks!

On 2016-09-14 10:10, Vadim Pasternak wrote:
> Peter Rosin wrote:
>> On 2016-09-13 22:37, vadimp@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>> From: Vadim Pasternak <vadimp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>>
>>> This driver allows I2C routing controlled through CPLD select
>>> registers on a wide range of Mellanox systems (CPLD Lattice device).
>>> MUX selection is provided by digital and analog HW. Analog part is not
>>> under SW control.
>>> Digital part is under CPLD control (channel selection/de-selection).
>>
>> *snip*
>>
>>> +/* Platform data for the CPLD I2C multiplexers */
>>> +
>>> +/* mlxcpld_mux_plat_data - per mux data, used with
>>> +i2c_register_board_info
>>> + * @adap_ids - adapter array
>>> + * @num_adaps - number of adapters
>>> + * @sel_reg_addr - mux select register offset in CPLD space */
>>> +struct mlxcpld_mux_plat_data {
>>> + int *adap_ids;
>>> + int num_adaps;
>>> + int sel_reg_addr;
>>> +};
>>> +
>>> +#endif /* _LINUX_I2C_MLXCPLD_H */
>>>

>> Hmm, you never confirmed that you need to support different register values in
>> the CPLD with sel_reg_addr. I can see that there is a possibility that you actually
>> really need it, but I'd like to remove that variable if at all possible.
>
> Yes, it could be different register values.
> Actually CPLD can also be programmed in different way.
> So, I really need it.

Oh well :-)

Cheers,
Peter