Re: TRIM/UNMAP/DISCARD via ATA Passthrough

From: Jason A. Donenfeld
Date: Thu Sep 15 2016 - 16:52:55 EST

Hi Martin,

On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 6:07 PM, Martin K. Petersen
> But how do they signal that ATA passthrough is possible? Is there an ATA
> Information VPD page? Is REPORT SUPPORTED OPERATION CODES supported?
>
> We need really solid discovery data before we can entertain enabling
> something like this.

`sg_opcodes` said invalid request, so I think there isn't REPORT
SUPPORTED OPERATION CODES, and `sg_vpd -p ai` came up illegal too.

However, sg_sat_identify worked reliably, which means a solid way of
probing this would be to send IDENTIFY DEVICE ATA via SG_ATA_16 or
SG_ATA_12.

Let me know and I can give you access to the hardware if you're curious.

Regards,
Jason