Re: UFS API in the kernel

From: Shaun Tancheff
Date: Mon Sep 26 2016 - 15:23:37 EST

On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 10:21 AM, Joao Pinto <Joao.Pinto@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I am designing an application that has the goal to be an utility for Unipro and
> UFS testing purposes. This application is going to run on top of a recent Linux
> Kernel containing the new UFS stack (including the new DWC drivers).
>
> I am considering doing the following:
> a) Create a new config item called CONFIG_UFS_CHARDEV which is going to create a
> char device responsible to make some IOCTL available for user-space applications
> b) Create a linux/ufs.h header file that contains data structures declarations
> that will be needed in user-space applications

I am not very familiar with UFS devices, that said you should have an
sgX chardev being created already so you can handle SG_IO requests.
There also appear to be some sysfs entries being created.

So between sg and sysfs you should be able to handle any user-space
out of band requests without resorting to making a new chardev.

Adding more sysfs entries, if you need them, should be fine.

You may find it easier to expand on the existing interfaces than to
get consensus on a new driver and ioctls.

Hope this helps,
Shaun