Re: Regression in 4.8 - CPU speed set very low

From: Larry Finger
Date: Wed Sep 28 2016 - 22:26:56 EST

On 09/27/2016 09:51 AM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 04:28:29PM -0500, Larry Finger wrote:
Mostly I use a KDE applet named "System load" and look at the "average
clock", but the same info is also available in /proc/cpuinfo as "cpu MHz".
When the bug triggers, the system gets very slow, and the cpu fan stops even
though the cpu is still busy.

Commit f7816ad, which had run for 7 days without showing the bug, failed
after about 2 hours today. All my testing since Sept. 9 has been wasted. Oh
well, that's the way it goes!

Is it possible there is no bug and instead you have a hardware problem?

What I am thinking:

CPU fan stops, then CPU gets busy, CPU overheats, thermal throtling
kicks in to protect CPU and it gets VERY slow.

So maybe you have a bad CPU fan that is getting stuck. Perhaps even if
you have a motherboard that varies the CPU fan depending on need and the
fan doesn't like the lowest speed and sometimes gets stuck when asked
to go slow.

Of course if the CPU fan is the problem that could explain why it takes
varying amounts of time to see the problem.

I suggest checking what the cpu temperature sensors are showing next
time it gets slow.

By the time it gets slow, the CPU's cool, and one cannot see the temp just before that event happened.

The reason I suspect a bug is that it fails with 4.8-rcX, but not with 4.7. Of course, it could be something subtle that slightly changes the heat load, which causes the CPU temp to be a little higher so that the effect is triggered.

I am reasonably confident that it is not a hardware problem, but we may have to wait until 4.8 is released and gets wider usage. If no one else reports a problem, then I am certainly wrong.

Larry