Re: NMI for ARC

From: Andy Lutomirski
Date: Thu Sep 29 2016 - 14:54:37 EST

On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 9:47 AM, Vineet Gupta
<Vineet.Gupta1@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 09/28/2016 11:43 PM, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 06:20:29PM -0700, Vineet Gupta wrote:
>>> On 09/28/2016 03:26 PM, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
>

>> user irq nmi
>>

>> `-----> .
>> |

>> `-----> .
>> |

>> . <-----'
>> . <-----'
>> |

>> So what Andy is saying is that NMI context never sets TIF_NEED_RESCHED,
>
> Can we we be absolutely sure about that. A perf intr, vmalloc based mmap can go
> thru various hoops and. Is it not possible that it hits a reschedule, setting
> TIF_NEED_RESCHED
>
>> this means that return from NMI never needs to check for preemption
>> etc..
>
> I don't think this implies from prev one. In my example, timer interrupt triggers
> a TIF_NEED_RESCHED and irq_exit -> __do_softirq() it hits the perf intr
>
>> Now your return from IRQ obviously should, the normal way. If the IRQ
>> return gets interrupted by the NMI nothing special should occur. The
>> return from NMI should simply resume the return from IRQ.
>>
>> So I'm a little confused by your timer interrupt example, it _should_ do
>> the preemption, the nested interrupt (NMI) will return to the regular
>> interrupt which should resume its normal return preemption or not.
>
> So lets first see how a single priority intr works on ARC (maybe on other arches
> as well).
>
> 1. task t1 enters kernel syscall (Trap Exception on ARC), handler drops down to
> pure kernel model and proceeds into syscall handler.
> 2. while in handler, some intr is taken, which causes a reschedule to task t2.
> 3. t2's control flow returns (say it was in syscall when originally
> scheduled-out). It needs to return to user mode but cpu needs to return from
> active interrupt. So we return to user mode, "riding" the intr return path. Means
> intr in step #2 returns to a different PC and execution mode (user vs. kernel etc).

For the benefit of people who don't know what an "active interrupt" is
(x86 has no such concept in hardware), can you elaborate a bit? On
x86, for all practical purposes [1], an interrupt kicks the CPU into
kernel mode, and the kernel is free to return however it likes. It
can do a standard interrupt return right back to the interrupted
context, but it can also switch stacks and do whatever some other
thread was doing.

> Now the same scheme doesn't work out of the box when u have intr and nmi. We have
> to actively ensure that nmi doesn't lead to a __schedule() sans user code. And
> this is done by bumping preempt_count(NMI_OFFSET) in entry of nmi handler.

The perf NMI code won't schedule. In general, you just need to ensure
that is_nmi() is true. Any kernel code that touches normal locks,
schedules, gets page faults without extreme caution, etc. needs to be
aware that nmis are special.

[1] There's an exception on 64-bit AMD CPUs because AMD blew it.
Also, x86 NMI return is itself severely overcomplicated because we don't
have good control over NMI nesting.