Re: md/raid1: Improve another size determination in setup_conf()

From: SF Markus Elfring
Date: Fri Oct 07 2016 - 04:54:06 EST

>>> Replace the specification of a data structure by a pointer dereference
>>> as the parameter for the operator "sizeof" to make the corresponding size
>>> determination a bit safer.
>>
>> Isn't this pure matter of taste?
>> Some developers prefer sizeof(*ptr) because it is easier to type, other
>> developers prefer sizeof(struct foo) because you can determine the type
>> at first sight and makes review more easy.
>
> sizeof(*ptr) is more future proof and normally more obvious and easier
> to review.

Is it interesting to see how different the software development opinions
can be for such an implementation detail?

> That said, I've tried to tell Markus to only send bugfix patches

Can any deviations from the Linux coding style become "bugs" also in
your view of the software situation?

> because these are a waste of time

How do you value compliance with coding styles?

> and regularly introduce bugs.

Really?

Would you like to discuss concrete incidents any further?

Regards,
Markus