Re: [GIT PULL] trivial for 4.9

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Oct 07 2016 - 15:23:11 EST

On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 1:51 AM, Jiri Kosina <jikos@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Colin Ian King (5):
> netfilter: Add missing \n to pr_err() message
> agp/intel: add missing \n to end of dev_emerg message
> lightnvm: add missing \n to end of dev_err message
> nvme: add missing \n to end of dev_warn message

We really shouldn't be needing these final '\n' characters any more, afaik.

If the next printk isn't done by the same process, and doesn't have a
KERN_CONT, the printk machinery should add the newline on its own.

I realize that people have been adding these '\n' characters for a
while, but is there actually any point to it? They make the code less
legible, imho. And we actually have a number of logging functions that
explicitly don't want the newline (eg ext4_warning/error()), so it's
actually more consistent to *not* have a newline than it is to have
one.

And if those '\n' characters actually make a difference, that should
be noted. Because that would imply that the printk logic isn't working
right.

Hmm?

Linus