Re: [Ksummit-discuss] Including images on Sphinx documents

From: Jani Nikula
Date: Thu Nov 17 2016 - 06:28:41 EST

On Thu, 17 Nov 2016, Arnd Bergmann <arnd@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 16, 2016 6:26:33 PM CET Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
>> Em Wed, 16 Nov 2016 17:03:47 +0100
>> Arnd Bergmann <arnd@xxxxxxxx> escreveu:

>> > It looks like we still need to find a way to address the .gif files
>> > though, as they have the same problem as the .pdf files.
>>
>> Actually, my last patch series removed all *.pdf images and converted
>> all .gif files under Documentation/media to PNG[1]. I also replaced some
>> images by .svg, but the remaining ones are more complex. I'm even not
>> sure if it makes sense to convert a few of them to vectorial graphics,
>> like on this case:
>> https://mchehab.fedorapeople.org/kernel_docs/media/_images/selection.png
>>

>> > During the kernel summit, I looked around for any binary files in
>> > the kernel source tree, and except for the penguin logo, they are
>> > all in Documentation/media/uapi/v4l/, but they are not all pdf
>> > files, but also .png and .pdf.
>>
>> From what I understood from Linus, his problem is to carry on a
>> non-editable file at the Kernel tree. With that sense, a PNG file
>> is OK, as it is editable.
>
> [adding Linus for clarification]
>
> I understood the concern as being about binary files that you cannot
> modify with classic 'patch', which is a separate issue.

Also reported at [1]. So kernel.org has patches that you can't apply
with either classic patch or git apply. They could at least be in git
binary format so you could apply them with *something*. Of course, not
having binaries at all would be clean.

BR,
Jani.

[1] http://lkml.kernel.org/r/02a78907-933d-3f61-572e-28154b16b9e5@xxxxxxxxxx