Re: [BUG] msr-trace.h:42 suspicious rcu_dereference_check() usage!

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Mon Nov 21 2016 - 12:06:20 EST

> > it got away with attached change.. but this rcu logic
> > is far beyond me, so it's just wild guess.. ;-)
>
> I think I prefer something like the below, that only annotates the one
> RDMSR in question, instead of all of them.

It would be far better to just fix trace points that they always work.

This whole thing is a travesty: we have tens of thousands of lines of code in
ftrace to support tracing in NMIs, but then "debug features"[1] like
this come around and make trace points unusable for far more code than
just the NMI handlers.

-Andi

[1] unclear what they actually "debug" here.