Re: console issue since 3.6, console=ttyS1 hangs

From: Nathan Zimmer
Date: Tue Nov 22 2016 - 10:31:03 EST

On 11/05/2016 06:44 PM, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:
On Fri, 4 Nov 2016, Peter Hurley wrote:

These bios screens do not have any mention of PNP settings.
I am getting output over the console (via ipmi) until the boot hangs.
Yeah, probably the device actually decodes io address access anyway,
but in the disabled state probably has not routed IRQ.

I have no idea how to help you with the bios, sorry.
I'd look out for serial port, Super-I/O or COM1 port (which is how PC-DOS
named the device some 35 years ago) settings rather than anything to do
with PNP. Typically you'd be able to choose from a few classic combined
I/O space address and IRQ assignments in addition to a `Disabled' setting.

There might be a genuine BIOS bug there as well of course as serial ports
seem to be less used these days and the issue may have escaped validation.

Maciej

After getting back to this after some other hot issues came up I am sure there is a bios bug, comparing acpidump of this box to other boxes really makes it obvious.

I found pnpacpi=off allows me to boot fine and get console traffic.
However I was hoping to find something that cast a little narrower net.

Nate