Re: [fuse-devel] fuse: max_background and congestion_threshold settings

From: Nikolaus Rath
Date: Tue Nov 22 2016 - 18:44:43 EST

Hi Maxim,

On Nov 22 2016, Maxim Patlasov <mpatlasov@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Surprise! Alas, Linux kernel does NOT process buffered AIO reads in
>>> async manner. You can verify it yourself by strace-ing a simple
>>> program looping over io_submit + io_getevents: for direct IO (as
>>> expected) io_submit returns immediately while io_getevents waits for
>>> actual IO; in contrast, for buffered IO (surprisingly) io_submit waits
>>> for actual IO while io_getevents returns immediately. Presumably,
>>> people are supposed to use mmap-ed read/writes rather than buffered
>>> AIO.
>> What about buffered, asynchronous writes when writeback cache is
>> disabled? It sounds as if io_submit does not block (so userspace could
>> create an unlimited number), nor can the kernel coalesce them (since
>> writeback caching is disabled).
>
> I've never looked closely at it. Do you have a particular use case or
> concern?

My only concern is to accurately describe the effects of the
"max_background" parameter in the libfuse documentation.

At the moment most FUSE filesystems don't use writeback caching (because
there is no stable libfuse release out that supports it). On the other
hand, most filesystem are probably also not too worried about the
behavior when userspace submits a large number of asynchronous write
requests. But I think it would still be important to correctly describe
this case. If io_submit does not block, and the request does not count
as a background request, wouldn't this be a bug that should be fixed? Or
is there anything else that would limit the number of such requests?

Best,
-Nikolaus

ÂTime flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a Banana.Â