Re: Synopsys Ethernet QoS Driver

From: Lars Persson
Date: Wed Nov 23 2016 - 06:41:38 EST

> 23 nov. 2016 kl. 12:11 skrev Joao Pinto <Joao.Pinto@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
> Hi Peppe and Lars,
>
>> On 23-11-2016 10:59, Giuseppe CAVALLARO wrote:

>>> Regarding this subject, I am thinking of making the following adaption:
>>>
>>> a) delete ethernet/synopsys
>>> b) rename ethernet/stmicro/stmmac to ethernet/synopsys
>>>
>>> and send you a patch for you to evaluate. Both agree with the approach?
>>> To have a new work base would be important, because I will add to the "new"
>>> structure some missing QoS features like Multichannel support, CBS and later TSN.
>>
>> IMO, we have to agree on a common strategy making the change for
>> net-next; I imaged the following steps:
>
> Yes it makes totally sense.
>

>> - to port missing feature or fixes from ethernet/synopsys
>> inside the stmmac taking care about the documentation too.
>
> @Lars: You are familiar with the synopsys qos driver. Could you please do this
> porting. You can also make an analysis of what to port and I can do the porting
> for you if you don't have the availability for it.

As my main duty is changing diapers until March next year, please go ahead with this step if you can spend time on it before I am back in office.

Rabin Vincent can review and test that the port works properly on our Artpec-chips that use dwc_eth_qos.c today.

The main porting step is to implement the device tree binding in bindings/net/snps,dwc-qos-ethernet.txt. Also our chip has a strict requirement that the phy is enabled when the SWR reset bit is set (it needs a tx clock to complete the reset).

- Lars