Re: wl1251 & mac address & calibration data

From: Sebastian Reichel
Date: Thu Nov 24 2016 - 10:24:43 EST

Hi,

On Thu, Nov 24, 2016 at 09:33:29AM +0100, Pali RohÃr wrote:
> On Thursday 24 November 2016 08:51:04 Pavel Machek wrote:
> > Hi!

> > > This sets temporary address and it is ioctl. IIRC same as what ethtool
> > > uses. (ifconfig is already deprecated).

> > > I'm not sure here... Above ioctl âââ is for changing temporary mac
> > > address. But here we do not want to change permanent mac address. We
> > > want to tell kernel driver current permanent mac address which is
> > > stored
> >
> > Well... I'd still use similar mechanism :-).
>
> Thats problematic, because in time when wlan0 interface is registered
> into system and visible in ifconfig output it already needs to have
> permanent mac address assigned.
>
> We should assign permanent mac address before wlan0 of wl1251 is
> registered into system.

You can just add the MAC address to the NVS data, which is also
required for the device initialization.

I wonder if those information could be put into DT. Iirc some
network devices get their MAC address from DT. Maybe we can add
all NVS info to DT? How much data is it?

Userspace application can add all those information to the DT
using a DT overlay. Also the u-boot could parse and add it at
some point in the future.

-- Sebastian