Getting at gpio- and pinctrl-devices as a consumer

From: Peter Rosin
Date: Thu Nov 24 2016 - 19:10:33 EST

On 2016-11-24 20:52, Wolfram Sang wrote:
>> Yes, I never liked that include, but I don't know how to get
>> from struct gpio_desc * to the relevant struct device *
>> without it...
>
> Looks to me like we should ask the GPIO maintainers if they are willing
> to export this value? I am probably not as good as you in explaining the
> details why, though...

Right. Adding Linus, Alexandre and the gpio list.

The background is that the gpio- and pinctrl-based i2c-mux drivers
need to know if the device that is used to control the mux of the
i2c-bus is also sitting on that very same i2c-bus. If it is, the
locking has to be different and a bit more relaxed. This relaxed
mode cannot be used always, as that would change the mux behavior
in an unacceptable way for stuff expecting the (traditional)
stricter locking. See Documentation/i2c/i2c-topology for more
details if you need it.

To check this, the i2c mux drivers dig out the device connected to
each gpio-pin (or pinctrl-state) and walks up the device tree to see
if the root i2c adapter that is muxed is in the loop.

When I wrote this code, I could not find a clean way to go from a
struct gpio_desc * to the relevant device, short of doing

#include "../../gpio/gpiolib.h"

gpio_dev = &gpio_desc->gdev->dev;

And similarly for pinctrl:

#include "../../pinctrl/core.h"

struct pinctrl_setting *setting;
pinctrl_dev = setting->pctldev->dev;

I'm not very proud of that, and wonder if there is a better way
to get at the needed struct device? If not, then perhaps there
should be?

Cheers,
Peter