Re: [patch] orangefs: cleanup orangefs_debugfs_new_client_string()

From: Dan Carpenter
Date: Fri Dec 16 2016 - 16:16:18 EST

So the story with this patch is that I was looking at the code for
unrelated reasons and I was just dorking in my editor and decided to
click send at the end. I often muck about and then just decide to move
on without hitting send. It's not something I feel strongly about.

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 03:35:34PM -0500, Mike Marshall wrote:
> 2) Some system administrators have admonished me because
> of a place where I put annoying messages into the ring
> buffer when a particular error occurs during op processing.
> I liked seeing it during development, but on a busy production cluster
> filled with people hitting CTRL-C and whatever else people whimsically
> do, there were thousands of "No one's waiting for tag #such-and-such"
> messages in dmesg and syslog.
>
> This particular message you mention, though, should almost never
> come out, and never because of Joe Blow users, rather because
> some awful thing happened when the sysadmin tried to load the
> client-core (userspace connector). Wouldn't something important
> have to be broken for that copy_from_user to fail?
>
> Anyhow, let me know if you think it might be OK to leave this one
> in, else I'll take it out.

If the user passes a bogus pointer to the ioctl, then copy_from_user()
will fail and the program will segfault. It's simple enough to run
valgrind or strace on the failing program and figure out why the program
segfaulted surely?

I don't know this code well enough, can regular users call the
ORANGEFS_DEV_CLIENT_STRING? If so then they can trigger a DoS attack so
it's a considered a security violation. If it's root only it doesn't
matter.

> 3) Those weren't just tabs, those two lines were indented with all
> spaces (oops), and thanks for taking out the cast if it is not needed.
>
> When there's too many arguments to type a whole function call
> out on one line, though, I like to "stack" the arguments, it makes
> it easier for me to see them... what do you think about that? Martin,
> the other developer who does a lot of work on Orangefs, doesn't like
> the way I put each argument on a line by itself, so maybe it is not
> helpful to most people, or important...

The way I changed it is the normal way but few people one feel strongly
about it. I just did that because I removed the unneeded casting (and
forgot to mention it in the changelog).

> 4) The preserved error code will find its way back to vfs through
> file_operations->unlocked_ioctl in the context of the pseudo device
> through which the kernel module and Orangefs' userspace communicate. It
> could end up being EINVAL or ENOMEM. Is that OK? When Al was getting
> after me for returning the wrong error codes, he said we shouldn't
> pick ones that seem reasonable to us, rather we should pick from the ones
> that POSIX said would be valid ones. I try to pick valid ones now by
> looking at the associated syscall's man page. There's no ENOMEM in
> the ioctl(2) man page.

Preserving the error code is fine most of the time with a very few
exceptions. -EIO was the wrong error code because that's for when you
can't read/write to the hardware because a drive fails or something.

regards,
dan carpenter