Re: Questions on the task isolation patches

From: Chris Metcalf
Date: Thu Dec 22 2016 - 18:28:21 EST

On 12/20/2016 4:27 AM, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
On 16/12/2016 22:00, Chris Metcalf wrote:
Sorry, I think I wasn't clear. Normally when you are running task
isolated and you enter the kernel, you will get a fatal signal. The
exception is if you call prctl itself (or exit), the kernel tolerates
it without a signal, since obviously that's how you need to cleanly
tell the kernel you are done with task isolation.
Running in a guest is pretty much the same as running in userspace.
Would it be possible to exclude the KVM_RUN ioctl as well? QEMU would
still have to run prctl when a CPU goes to sleep, and KVM_RUN would have
to enable/disable isolated mode when a VM executes HLT (which should
never happen anyway in NFV scenarios).

I think that probably makes sense. The flow would be that qemu executes
first the prctl() for task isolation, then the KVM_RUN ioctl. We obviously can't
do it in the other order, so we'd need to make task isolation tolerate KVM_RUN.

I won't try to do it for my next patch series (based on 4.10) though, since I'd
like to get the basic support upstreamed before trying to extend it.

--
Chris Metcalf, Mellanox Technologies
http://www.mellanox.com