Re: xfs: commit 6552321831dc "xfs: remove i_iolock and use i_rwsem in the VFS inode instead" change causes hang

From: Al Viro
Date: Sun Jan 08 2017 - 14:27:09 EST

On Sun, Jan 08, 2017 at 08:09:55PM +0100, Christoph Hellwig wrote:

> No. We need an ->ima_measure file_operation, guts of process_measurement
> turned into a library function that the FS can call after taking fs-specific
> locks. And maybe also a small wrapper around it that takes ilock and
> can be used directly for file systems not needing special locking.

Incidentally, it had been literally years since the problems with their
pathname handling had been brought up and we *still* have got no answer.

In the current tree, ima_d_path() is quite capable of returning
path->dentry->d_name.name. Which gets used by subsequent code,
even though there is no warranty whatsoever that it won't be
pointing to freed memory by the time the caller of ima_d_path()
gets it.

Could IMA folks be bothered to explain how the hell is that supposed to
work? Note that the race window is *not* narrow - it includes reading the
file contents, for fuck sake! A plenty of time for the file to be
renamed, and if the name had been long enough to be stored separately,
for the original to be freed/reused/whatnot.

Better yet, in ima_collect_measurement() they have another user of
->d_name.name, with all the same issues.