Re: [patch] mm, thp: add new background defrag option

From: Hugh Dickins
Date: Mon Jan 09 2017 - 22:38:44 EST

On Mon, 9 Jan 2017, David Rientjes wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Jan 2017, Vlastimil Babka wrote:
>
> > > Any suggestions for a better name for "background" are more than welcome.
> >
> > Why not just "madvise+defer"?
> >

> Seeing no other activity regarding this issue (omg!), I'll wait a day or
> so to see if there are any objections to "madvise+defer" or suggestions
> that may be better and repost.

I get very confused by the /sys/kernel/mm/transparent_hugepage/defrag
versus enabled flags, and this may be a terrible, even more confusing,
idea: but I've been surprised and sad to see defrag with a "defer"
option, but poor enabled without one; and it has crossed my mind that
perhaps the peculiar "madvise+defer" syntax in defrag might rather be
handled by "madvise" in defrag with "defer" in enabled? Or something
like that: 4 x 4 possibilities instead of 5 x 3.

Please be gentle with me,
Hugh