Re: [char-misc for 4.10-rc4 V2] mei: bus: enable OS version only for SPT and newer

From: Paul Menzel
Date: Wed Jan 11 2017 - 09:26:14 EST

Dear Tomas,

On 01/11/17 15:12, Winkler, Tomas wrote:

On 01/11/17 10:24, Winkler, Tomas wrote:

On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 01:27:21AM +0200, Tomas Winkler wrote:
On older platforms the command should be just ignored by the
firmware but some older platforms misbehave so it's safer to send
the command only if required.

Thanks! This fixes suspend-to-ram for me (on a Thinkpad x201s).

What about Dell XPS13?

With Linus' master branch from today, and Greg's char-misc-linus
merged
(Merge: 807b93e995d1 546cf3ef9c92), the regression is still there.

Hmm, this should work on KBL....

I am now building a Linux kernel image with the two commits touching
`bus- fixup.c` reverted.

Thanks for the effort.

Do you want me to open a separate bug report for that, or continue
debugging in the existing report [1], which is currently marked as resolved?

Let's get some more data, shouldn't take long time.

Do you have Kaby Lake devices sitting around for testing?

We will of course try to reproduce the issue locally.

Paul, currently we cannot reproduce this issue on Kaby Lake platforms on our side,

It looks like it’s a different issue. Reverting the two commits touching `bus-fixup.c`, did not help.

we would be great for more debug data from your side.
You can get more info by enabling mode debug logs

echo -n 'module mei +lfp' > /sys/kernel/debug/dynamic_debug/control
echo -n 'module mei_me +lfp' > /sys/kernel/debug/dynamic_debug/control

I am currently bisecting to find the culprit. 13 steps will take some time though.

Tomas, I believe Intel’s “ACPI department” got access to a Dell XPS13.

Kind regards,

Paul