Re: NVMe vs DMA addressing limitations

From: Sagi Grimberg
Date: Thu Jan 12 2017 - 05:09:36 EST

Another workaround me might need is to limit amount of concurrent DMA
in the NVMe driver based on some platform quirk. The way that NVMe works,
it can have very large amounts of data that is concurrently mapped into
the device.

That's not really just NVMe - other storage and network controllers also
can DMA map giant amounts of memory. There are a couple aspects to it:

- dma coherent memoery - right now NVMe doesn't use too much of it,
but upcoming low-end NVMe controllers will soon start to require
fairl large amounts of it for the host memory buffer feature that
allows for DRAM-less controller designs. As an interesting quirk
that is memory only used by the PCIe devices, and never accessed
by the Linux host at all.

Would it make sense to convert the nvme driver to use normal allocations
and use the DMA streaming APIs (dma_sync_single_for_[cpu|device]) for
both queues and future HMB?

- size vs number of the dynamic mapping. We probably want the dma_ops
specify a maximum mapping size for a given device. As long as we
can make progress with a few mappings swiotlb / the iommu can just
fail mapping and the driver will propagate that to the block layer
that throttles I/O.

Isn't max mapping size per device too restrictive? it is possible that
not all devices posses active mappings concurrently.