Re: [RFC for GIT] pull-request: add praise to people doing QA

From: Jacob Keller
Date: Sun Jan 15 2017 - 23:05:54 EST

On Sun, Jan 15, 2017 at 4:35 PM, Junio C Hamano <gitster@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> As to the implementation, I am wondering if we can make this somehow
> work well with the "trailers" code we already have, instead of
> inventing yet another parser of trailers.
>
> In its current shape, "interpret-trailers" focuses on "editing" an
> existing commit log message to tweak the trailer lines. That mode
> of operation would help amending and rebasing, and to do that it
> needs to parse the commit log message, identify trailer blocks,
> parse out each trailer lines, etc.
>
> There is no fundamental reason why its output must be an edited
> original commit log message---it should be usable as a filter that
> picks trailer lines of the selected trailer type, like "Tested-By",
> etc.

I have been looking at ways to use the interpret-trailers as a way to
filter commits and print out trailers, and this sort of feature would
be useful to me if it were generic. (and then pull-request could use
the generic interface to grab the data and then parse it into a praise
format)

Thanks,
Jake