Re: fs, net: deadlock between bind/splice on af_unix

From: Mateusz Guzik
Date: Thu Jan 26 2017 - 18:38:53 EST

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 01:21:48PM -0800, Cong Wang wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 1:32 AM, Dmitry Vyukov <dvyukov@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Yes, I've noticed. What I'm asking is what in there needs autobind triggered
> >> on sendmsg and why doesn't the same need affect the SOCK_STREAM case?

> >> Bad idea, IMO - do you *want* autobind being able to come through while
> >> bind(2) is busy with mknod?
> >

> > Ping. This is still happening on HEAD.
> >

> Thanks for your reminder. Mind to give the attached patch (compile only)
> a try? I take another approach to fix this deadlock, which moves the
> unix_mknod() out of unix->bindlock. Not sure if there is any unexpected
> impact with this way.

I don't think this is the right approach.

Currently the file creation is potponed until unix_bind can no longer
fail otherwise. With it reordered, it may be someone races you with a
different path and now you are left with a file to clean up. Except it
is quite unclear for me if you can unlink it.

I don't have a good idea how to fix it. A somewhat typical approach
would introduce an intermediate state ("under construction") and drop
the lock between calling into unix_mknod.

In this particular case, perhaps you could repurpose gc_flags as a
general flags carrier and add a 'binding in process' flag to test.