[RFC/PATCH 0/4] New style overlay and /expansion/ support

From: Stephen Boyd
Date: Mon Jan 30 2017 - 19:04:21 EST

This series revives the new style of overlay syntax that never got
merged. David said he wanted to handle it outside of the parse
phase[1], and he proposed a patch to move overlay application to the
livetree phase. I've applied that patch and reworked Pantelis' last
two patches for the new style "syntactic sugar" on top[2].

In addition, I've included the new /expansion/ keyword support for
overlays that don't reference any labels that are outside of the
input file. The new expansion keyword just transforms the unresolved
references into strings that go into a new 'target-alias' property
instead of the 'target' property. This is in line with what David
has proposed on the mailing list a few months ago[3].

RFC part: The current syntax requires a root node or overlays are rejected.
Making the root node optional would require some non-trivial rework of the
grammar to support it. This means the proposed 'new style' syntax doesn't
work without the root node.

[1] https://lkml.kernel.org/r/20161125041124.GB12287@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[2] https://lkml.kernel.org/r/1481114903-8197-7-git-send-email-pantelis.antoniou@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[3] https://lkml.kernel.org/r/20160718142037.GS16769@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

David Gibson (1):
Start moving overlay handling from parser into dtc core

Pantelis Antoniou (1):
tests: Add a test for overlays syntactic sugar

Stephen Boyd (2):
dtc: Add syntactic sugar version of overlays
dtc: Add /expansion/ support

checks.c | 2 +-
dtc-lexer.l | 6 +++
dtc.c | 16 +++++++-