[BUG] Probably bug concerning write to /proc/self/loginuid

From: StanisÅaw Busza
Date: Wed Feb 01 2017 - 08:37:50 EST

Hello, this is my first message to the linux kernel development list.

I probably found a bug in the linux kernel.

It affects all kernels since 2.6.12, especially 4.9 that i use.

Lets take a look at the file: fs/proc/base.c and function
proc_loginuid_write() (circa 1264 line):

static ssize_t proc_loginuid_write(struct file * file, const char __user * buf,
size_t count, loff_t *ppos)
{
struct inode * inode = file_inode(file);
uid_t loginuid;
kuid_t kloginuid;
int rv;

/* here is check that is interesting for us */
rcu_read_lock();
if (current != pid_task(proc_pid(inode), PIDTYPE_PID)) {
rcu_read_unlock();
return -EPERM;
}
rcu_read_unlock();

I marked with comment the place where function checks which process is
writing to file.

Problem occurs when multithreaded application tries to write
/proc/self/loginuid.

For first thread that is spawned write succeeds. For any other thread
write fails (threads have different pids in linux).

So my question is whether this is a bug or intentional behavior.

StanisÅaw Busza