Re: [LSF/MM TOPIC] cpuset vs mempolicy related issues

From: Michal Hocko
Date: Fri Feb 10 2017 - 09:04:42 EST

On Fri 10-02-17 12:52:25, Vlastimil Babka wrote:
> On 02/03/2017 10:17 AM, Vlastimil Babka wrote:
> > Possible fix approach
> >
> > Cpuset updates will rebind nodemasks only of those mempolicies that need it wrt
> > their relative nodes semantics (those are either created with the flag
> > MPOL_F_RELATIVE_NODES, or with neither RELATIVE nor STATIC flag). The others
> > (created with the STATIC flag) we can leave untouched. For mempolicies that we
> > keep rebinding, adopt the approach of mbind() that swaps an updated copy
> > instead of in-place changes. We can leave get_page_from_freelist() as it is and
> > nodes will be filtered orthogonally with mempolicy nodemask and cpuset check.
> >
> > This will give us stable nodemask throughout the whole allocation without a
> > need for an on-stack copy. The next question is what to do with
> > current->mems_allowed. Do we keep the parallel modifications with seqlock
> > protection or e.g. try to go back to the synchronous copy approach?
> >
> > Related to that is a remaining corner case with alloc_pages_vma() which has its
> > own seqlock-protected scope. There it calls policy_nodemask() which might
> > detect that there's no intersection between the mempolicy and cpuset and return
> > NULL nodemask. However, __alloc_pages_slowpath() has own seqlock scope, so if a
> > modification to mems_allowed (resulting in no intersection with mempolicy)
> > happens between the check in policy_nodemask() and reaching
> > __alloc_pages_slowpath(), the latter won't detect the modification and invoke
> > OOM before it can return with a failed allocation to alloc_pages_vma() and let
> > it detect a seqlock update and retry. One solution as shown in the RFC patch [3]
> > is to add another check for the cpuset/nodemask intersection before OOM. That
> > works, but it's a bit hacky and still produces an allocation failure warning.
> >
> > On the other hand, we might also want to make things more robust in general and
> > prevent spurious OOMs due to no nodes being eligible for also any other reason,
> > such as buggy driver passing a wrong nodemask (which doesn't necessarily come
> > from a mempolicy).
>
> It occured to me that it could be possible to convert cpuset handling from
> nodemask based to zonelist based, which means each cpuset would have its own
> set of zonelists where only the allowed nodes (for hardwall) would be
> present. For softwall we could have another set, where allowed nodes are
> prioritised, but all would be present... or we would just use the system
> zonelists.

sounds like a good idea to me!

> This means some extra memory overhead for each cpuset, but I'd expect the
> amount of cpusets in the system should be relatively limited anyway.
> (Mempolicies used to be based on zonelists in the past, but there the
> overhead might have been more significant.)

I do not think this would ever be a problem.

> We could then get rid of the task->mems_allowed and the related seqlock.
> Cpuset updates would allocate new set of zonelists and then swap it. This
> would need either refcounting or some rwsem to free the old version safely.

yes, refcounting sounds reasonably.

> This together with reworked updating of mempolicies would provide the
> guarantee that once we obtain the cpuset's zonelist and mempolicy's
> nodemask, we can check it once for intersection, and then that result
> remains valid during the whole allocation.

I would really like to drop all/most of the mempolicy rebinding code
which is called when the cpuset is chaged. I guess we cannot avoid that
for MPOL_F_RELATIVE_NODES but other than that we should rely on
policy_nodemask I believe. If the intersection between nodemask and
cpuset is empty we can return NULL nodemask (we are doing that already
for MPOL_BIND) and then rely on zonelists to do the right thing.

> Another advantage is that for_next_zone_zonelist_nodemask() then provides
> the complete filtering and we don't have to call __cpuset_zone_allowed().

yes it would be also more natural and easier to understand. All the
subtle details are really hidden now. I wasn't really aware of
policy_nodemask returning NULL nodemask on empty intersection until recently
and then you still have to keep in mind that there is __cpuset_zone_allowed
at a place which does the cpuset part... This is really non-obvious.
--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs