Re: srcu: BUG in __synchronize_srcu

From: Lance Roy
Date: Tue Mar 14 2017 - 03:47:22 EST

I am not sure how the rcu_scheduler_active changes in __synchronize_srcu work,
but there seem to be a few problems in them. First,
"if (done && likely(!driving))" on line 453 doesn't appear to ever happen,
as driving doesn't get set to false when srcu_reschedule is called. This seems
like it could cause a race condition if another thread notices that ->running is
false, adds itself to the queue, set ->running to true, and starts on its own
grace period before the first thread acquires the lock again on line 469. Then
the first thread will then acquire the lock, set running to false, and release
the lock, resulting in an invalid state where ->running is false but the second
thread is still trying to finish its grace period.

Second, the while loop on line 455 seems to violate to rule that ->running
shouldn't be false when there are entries in the queue. If a second thread adds
itself to the queue while the first thread is driving SRCU inside that loop, and
then the first thread finishes its own grace period and quits the loop, it will
set ->running to false even though there is still a thread on the queue.

The second issue requires rcu_scheduler_active to be RCU_SCHEDULER_INIT to
occur, and as I don't what the assumptions during RCU_SCHEDULER_INIT are I don't
know if it is actually a problem, but the first issue looks like it could occur
at any time.

Thanks,
Lance