Re: RFC: reject unknown open flags

From: Paul Eggert
Date: Thu Mar 30 2017 - 15:08:41 EST

On 03/30/2017 11:19 AM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
like "dd" growing an atomic flag and setting it on stdout),

'dd' typically assumes that if a flag O_FOO is not #defined by <fcntl.h>, then 'dd' can "#define O_FOO 0" and the rest of dd's code can assume O_FOO works "well enough" on older systems. I hope this backward-compatibility hack will suffice for O_ATOMIC too.

I'm assuming you'd also possible want to be able to use F_SETFL to set
O_ATOMIC after the fact

Just for fun, one thread can set O_ATOMIC at the same time another thread is doing a 'write'....