Re: [GIT PULL] runes

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sat Apr 01 2017 - 14:09:57 EST

On Sat, Apr 1, 2017 at 2:42 AM, Adam Borowski <kilobyte@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It contains fixes for OLCUC handling, expanding its functionality to what I
> presume was your intention in implementing OLCUC in 1991 but couldn't be
> done then.

Yes, sadly, back then I was basically limited to Latin1, which is
obviously useless.

> With the fixes, to get the old-style OLCUC behaviour ASCII you can stty
> -iutf8; neither ANSI codes nor Unicode will be mangled anymore. But, that's
> quite useless -- I wonder what was your reason to implement OLCUC back in
> the day even though it was obsolete by decades even then, and was already
> dropped from relevant standards. Thus, I guess you want proper rune
> support, this pull request adds this. I've chosen Elder Futhark as the
> variant to implement.

The question that obviously springs to mind is why you didn't make
this the default state of a tty? As it is, it seems that people have
to do extra work (and know about this feature) to get the Great Runes
enabled.

That seems user-hostile and counter-productive?

Also, sadly, gmail seems hostile to this whole thing, and marked your
email as spam. Don't ask me why.

ááááá