Re: Question on fscrypt_d_revalidate() and fstest generic/429

From: Eric Biggers
Date: Tue May 16 2017 - 18:07:18 EST

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 08:47:43AM +0200, Richard Weinberger wrote:
> Eric,

> >> Not sure. Al? :-)
> >>

> > I can reproduce this on an unencrypted directory after updating path_init() in
> > fs/namei.c to always clear LOOKUP_RCU, so that all path lookups are done in
> > ref-walk mode. So I think fscrypt_d_revalidate() was only relevant because it
> > causes all path lookups to drop out of rcu-walk mode.
>
> On ext4 or UBIFS?
>
> Thanks,
> //richard

Both; the inode "leak" isn't filesystem-specific, beyond the fact that UBIFS
apparently limits the number of inodes on its orphan list while ext4 does not.
(How do I know it happens on ext4 then? /proc/slabinfo shows that lots of ext4
inodes have been allocated, and after an unclean shutdown and remounting, it's
reported that 50,000+ orphan inodes were deleted.)

There are lots of cases in which path lookups switch from rcu-walk mode into
ref-walk mode, so the fact that it was being caused by ->d_revalidate() in this
specific situation isn't really important, IMO.

I think the actual fix would be something along the lines of making vfs_rmdir()
unhash any negative child dentries, so that they get "killed" by dput() later.

Eric