Re: [GIT PULL] KVM fixes for v4.12-rc2

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri May 19 2017 - 18:21:45 EST

So I noticed that my diffstat didn't match either the KVM or the Xen pull.

The *reason* seems to be that both Radim and Juergen have enabled the
"patience" diff, because if I add "--patience" to the diff line, I get
the same numbers you guys report.

On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 11:43 AM, Radim KrÄmÃÅ <rkrcmar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Without "--patience" (the default) I get:

which is close, but not the exact same thing.

So I don't mind people using the patience version of the diffing code,
but on the whole it's a loss as often as it is a win, so I'm wondering
_why_ you do this? Is there some other project that has started
suggesting using the patience diff (either with a command line option
or by just doing

git config diff.algorithm patience

anyway, it's not a big deal, I'm just curious..

Linus