Re: Build regressions/improvements in v4.12-rc2

From: Geert Uytterhoeven
Date: Mon May 22 2017 - 05:49:17 EST

Hi Arnd, Helge,

On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 11:35 AM, Geert Uytterhoeven
<geert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Below is the list of build error/warning regressions/improvements in
> v4.12-rc2[1] compared to v4.11[2].
>
> Summarized:
> - build errors: +2/-3
> - build warnings: +27717/-896

> [1] http://kisskb.ellerman.id.au/kisskb/head/08332893e37af6ae779367e78e444f8f9571511d/ (267 out of 270 configs)

> 27717 warning regressions:
>
> [Deleted 26393 lines about "warning: ... [-Wpointer-sign]" on parisc-allmodconfig]

Do you know where these are coming from? They appeared in v4.12-rc1.
The toolchain on kisskb hasn't changed (still gcc-4.6.3-nolibc).

> [Deleted 1166 lines about "warning: -ffunction-sections disabled; it makes profiling impossible [enabled by default]" on parisc-allmodconfig]

This has been introduced a while ago. Would be good to get it fixed, too.
I guess the "cflags-y += -ffunction-sections" still needs some CONFIG check,
despite commit 366dd4ea9d5f0eb7 ("parisc: Fix ftrace function tracer")?

Thanks!

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

-- Linus Torvalds