Re: RFC: better timer interface

From: Arnd Bergmann
Date: Mon May 22 2017 - 07:26:42 EST

On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 8:14 PM, Thomas Gleixner <tglx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, 21 May 2017, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
>> >
>> > If we keep the unusual *_timer() naming (rather than timer_*() as hrtimer
>> > has), we could use one of
>> >
>> > a) start_timer(struct timer_list *timer, unsigned long ms);
>> > b) restart_timer(struct timer_list *timer, unsigned long ms);
>> > c) mod_timer_ms(struct timer_list *timer, unsigned long ms);
>> > mod_timer_sec(struct timer_list *timer, unsigned long sec);
>>
>> Please make new functions prefixed with timer_ and get rid of that old
>> interface completely. It's horrible.
>>
>> timer_init()
>> timer_start(timer, ms, abs)
>
> I'm not even sure, whether we need absolute timer wheel timers at
> all, because most use cases are relative to now.
>
> But it's easy enough to provide them. All we need for that is something
> like
>
> unsigned long time_msec;
>
> which gets incremented every tick by the appropriate amount of
> milliseconds.
>
> Having that would also allow to replace all the
>
> end = jiffies + msec_to_jiffies(xxx);
>
> while (time_before(jiffies, end))
>
> constructs with a milliseconds based machinery. So we can remove all
> *_to_jiffies() interfaces over time.

A lot of those users could probably just ktime_get()/ktime_before() here,
as they would by definition not be performance critical.

I don't see a way to just tk->tkr_mono.base but with a ktime_get_coarse()
we could just return the ktime_t of the last tick and not even need a seqlock
on 64-bit architectures, or have to introduce a new API.

Arnd