Re: Problem with new X.509 is_hash_blacklisted() interface

From: Ard Biesheuvel
Date: Tue May 30 2017 - 06:37:51 EST

On 27 May 2017 at 15:05, James Bottomley
<James.Bottomley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Added by
>
> commit 436529562df2748fd9918f578205b22cf8ced277
> Author: David Howells <dhowells@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Mon Apr 3 16:07:25 2017 +0100
>
> X.509: Allow X.509 certs to be blacklisted
>
> Ironically it duplicates a UEFI bug we've been struggling with for a
> while in the pkcs11 handlers: namely if you have a blacklist based on
> certificate hashes, an interface which only takes a hash cannot
> definitively tell you if the certificate is on the blacklist or not
> because the hash the cert is blacklisted by may be a different
> algorithm from the hash you feed in to is_hash_blacklisted(). This
> means that the only safe way to use the interface is to construct every
> possible hash of the cert and feed them one at a time into
> is_hash_blacklisted(). This makes it an almost unusable API.
>
> I suggest you deprecate this interface immediately and introduce an
> is_cert_blacklisted() one which takes a pointer to the TBS data. Then
> the implementation can loop over the blacklists, see the hash type and
> construct the hash of the TBS data for comparison (caching the hashes
> for efficiency). That way you'll be assured of a definitive answer and
> an easy API.
>
> It might be reasonable to cc linux-efi on future kernel keyring stuff,
> because some of the other issues may have also come up in the UEFI
> keyrings.

Hi James,

Thanks for highlighting this. I agree that this should be addressed
asap, given that this code has not appeared in a release yet (it was
added this cycle)

Perhaps redundantly, I'd like to emphasize that this is really not a
UEFI specific issue, it applies to any application of X.509 that does
not restrict the set of permitted hash algorithms to a single one.

Regards,
Ard.