Re: [V2, 2/6] tty: serial: lpuart: add little endian 32 bit register support

From: Dong Aisheng
Date: Wed May 31 2017 - 04:07:44 EST

Hi Nikita,

On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 08:24:18AM +0300, Nikita Yushchenko wrote:
> Hi,

> >> Do not reuse lpuart32_console_putchar() in earlycon code.
> >>
> >> Have two sets of early_setup/early_write/putchar - for BE and
> >> defaut-endian earlycon. And in these putchar's do not use
> >> lpuart_(read|write).
> >>

> > Isn't that introducing another consistency break after fix one
> > consistency break?
> >
> > If doing that, we then have two register read/write APIs.
> > One for normal driver operation by dynamically checking lpuart_is_be
> > property to distinguish the endian difference problem.
> > Another is specifically implemented for only early console read/write
> > and use hardcoded way to read/write register directly instead of using
> > the standard API lpuart32_read/write, like follows:
> > e.g.
> > lpuart32_le_console_write() {
> > writel();
> > }
> >
> > lpuart32_be_console_write() {
> > iowrite32be()
> > }
> > This also makes the driver a bit strange and ugly.
> >
> > It looks to me both way are trade offs and the later one seems sacrifice
> > more. And i doubt if it's really necessary for probably a no real gain
> > purpose as the FPGA you mentioned is a theoretical case and less
> > possibility to exist.
> >
> > I'm still wondering how about keep using the exist way and adding more
> > information in code to explain why use a global var?
>
> I've checked other driver under drivers/tty/serial/, for examples of
> similar cases.
>
> Please look at serial8250_early_in() / serial8250_early_out() ?
> These do handle different endian, via port->iotype

Well, that does inspire me.

With struct uart_port's iotype member, the global lpuart_is_be can be
gone. We can update lpuart32_read/write API to take the reference of
of structure uart_port, then the API knows the endian information and
can use the correct further IO accessor accordingly.

And most importantly, it also works with earlycon.

> Another example is drivers/tty/serial/samsung.c, where
> port->private_data is initialized and used.

If using iotype, seems no need private_data anymore.
Will try and send the new series later with you CCed to help review.

Thanks for the advice.

Regards
Dong Aisheng