Re: WARN_ON_ONCE() in process_one_work()?

From: Paul E. McKenney
Date: Fri Jun 23 2017 - 12:41:54 EST

On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 08:30:35AM -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 09:45:23AM -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> > On Sun, Jun 18, 2017 at 06:40:00AM -0400, Tejun Heo wrote:

> > > I was a bit confused. It has to be racing against either new kworker
> > > being created on the wrong CPU or rescuer trying to migrate to the
> > > CPU, and it looks like we're mostly seeing the rescuer condition, but,
> > > yeah, this would only get triggered rarely. Another contributing
> > > factor could be the vmstat work putting on a workqueue w/ rescuer
> > > recently. It runs quite often, so probably has increased the chance
> > > of hitting the right condition.
> >
> > Sounds like too much fun! ;-)
> >
> > But more constructively... If I understand correctly, it is now possible
> > to take a CPU partially offline and put it back online again. This should
> > allow much more intense testing of this sort of interaction.
> >
> > And no, I haven't yet tried this with RCU because I would probably need
> > to do some mix of just-RCU online/offline and full-up online-offline.
> > Plus RCU requires pretty much a full online/offline cycle to fully
> > exercise it. :-/

> > > Thanks a lot for the testing and patience. Sorry that it took so
> > > long. I'm not completely sure the patch is correct. It might have to
> > > be more specifc about which type of migration or require further
> > > synchronization around migration, but hopefully it'll at least be able
> > > to show that this was the cause of the problem.
> >
> > And last night's tests had no failures. Which might actually mean
> > something, will get more info when I run without your patch this
> > evening. ;-)
>
> And it didn't fail without the patch, either. 45 hours of test vs.
> 60 hours with the patch. This one is not going to be easy to prove
> either way. I will try again this evening without the patch and see
> what that gets us.

And another 36 hours (total of 81 hours) without the patch, still no
failure. Sigh.

In the sense that the patch doesn't cause any new problem:

Tested-by: Paul E. McKenney <paulmck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

But I clearly have nothing of statistical significance, so any confidence
in the fix is coming from your reproducer.

Thanx, Paul