userspace regression with hwmon

From: Sudip Mukherjee
Date: Mon Jun 26 2017 - 10:33:04 EST

Hi Guenter, Jean,

The patch d72d19c26c41 ("hwmon: (coretemp) Convert to use
devm_hwmon_device_register_with_groups") has changed the location of the
sysfs nodes from /sys/devices/platform/coretemp.0/ to
/sys/devices/platform/coretemp.0/hwmon/hwmon0/ and that has broken
some of our usespace applications when we have updated the kernel from
v3.8 to v4.4. For now I am reverting that said patch in our production
kernel (based on v4.4) but that is not an elegant solution.
Do you have any other reports like this? I am sure changing the paths
upstream will now break some other userspace. So, what can be an elegant
solution to our problem? or do we always need to carry an out-of-tree
patch for our production kernel?

--
Regards
Sudip