Re: [RFC 0/5] drivers: Add boot constraints core

From: Mark Brown
Date: Fri Jun 30 2017 - 08:14:27 EST

On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 02:13:30PM +0530, Viresh Kumar wrote:
> On 30-06-17, 14:36, Chen-Yu Tsai wrote:

> Operable ranges of the regulator: 1.8 - 3.0 V
> Range required by LCD: 2.0 - 3.0 V
> Range required by DMA: 1.8 - 2.5 V

> Here DMA can't work with regulator voltages > 2.5 V, but regulator can
> go max to 3.0 V. Of course if the DMA driver has done
> regulator_set_voltage(), then we will be within 2.5 V range. But that
> doesn't force us to have regulator-max-microvolt set to 2.5 V.

> And so the DT node shall have this:

> regulator-min-microvolt = <1800000>;
> regulator-max-microvolt = <3000000>;

> Isn't it ?

If the DMA can't tolerate more than 2.5V then why would the constraints
allow the voltage to float that far? Similarly on the low end?

Please remember that devices shouldn't be managing their voltages unless
they are actively changing them at runtime, simply setting them at
startup is the job of the constraints. I would be very surprised to see
a DMA controller doing anything like DVFS.