Re: perf script: Question: Python trace processing script contains the tid of the process in the common_pid attribute

From: Arun Kalyanasundaram
Date: Wed Jul 05 2017 - 19:51:47 EST

Arnaldo:
So, I think what you are suggesting is, we should check the signature
of the hook to determine if it has an additional attribute and only
then should we provide the dict. May be something like this:

PyObject* custom_dict = PyObject_GetAttrString(handler, "other_fields_dict");
if (custom_dict)
//Add dict to PyTuple

Do you think this would be a better approach?

Thank you,
- Arun

On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 1:41 PM, Arun Kalyanasundaram
<arunkaly@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I wasn't entirely sure if we should modify the signature of the python
> hooks_ as this would make existing scripts incompatible. So the patch
> only adds sample->pid to the event_fields_dict param in
> trace_unhandled().
>

> On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 12:26 PM, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo
> <acme@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Yeah there is a problem in:
>>>
>>> tools/perf/util/scripting-engines/trace-event-python.c
>>>
>>> static void python_process_event(union perf_event *event,
>>> struct perf_sample *sample,
>>> struct perf_evsel *evsel,
>>> struct addr_location *al)
>>> {
>>> struct tables *tables = &tables_global;
>>>
>>> switch (evsel->attr.type) {
>>> case PERF_TYPE_TRACEPOINT:
>>> python_process_tracepoint(sample, evsel, al);
>>> break;
>>> /* Reserve for future process_hw/sw/raw APIs */
>>> default:
>>> if (tables->db_export_mode)
>>> db_export__sample(&tables->dbe, event, sample, evsel, al);
>>> else