Re: RISC-V Linux Port v6

From: Arnd Bergmann
Date: Wed Jul 12 2017 - 15:34:50 EST

On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 7:55 PM, Will Deacon <will.deacon@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 09:58:01AM +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 3:31 AM, Palmer Dabbelt <palmer@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Without having looked at the current state of the patch series, I would
>> guess that next week is a good time to ask for inclusion *in* linux-next,
>> while continuing the review.
>
> My only concern about getting this into -next is that is sets expectations
> that this is going to land in the next merge window, but we're unable to
> review much of the atomics, barriers and locking code because the
> architecture document is being rewritten and is not yet available:
>
> https://marc.info/?i=8709419e3d964b86b025bb35a6b55440%40HQMAIL105.nvidia.com

I don't see that as a show-stopper for the merge: yes, the kernel port
will need to conform to the architecture once we know what it is, but
overall, this seems like a detail that can easily be fixed after the merge
as no ABI is involved.

The worst case here is that the initial release is a bit unstable, slow
or both and this will get fixed later. I would expect this to be the
case even if the atomics are all correct ;-)

Arnd