Re: [RFC 2/5] i3c: Add core I3C infrastructure

From: Boris Brezillon
Date: Tue Aug 01 2017 - 11:14:54 EST

On Tue, 1 Aug 2017 16:22:21 +0200
Arnd Bergmann <arnd@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 3:58 PM, Boris Brezillon
> <boris.brezillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Tue, 1 Aug 2017 15:34:14 +0200
> > Boris Brezillon <boris.brezillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I just realized I forgot to add a "depends on I2C" in the I3C Kconfig
> > entry. Indeed, I'm unconditionally calling functions provided by the
> > I2C framework which have no dummy wrapper when I2C support is disabled.
> > I could of course conditionally compile some portion of the I3C
> > framework so that it still builds when I2C is disabled but I'm not sure
> > it's worth the trouble.
> >
> > This "depends on I2C" should also solve the I2C+I3C driver issue, since
> > I2C is necessarily enabled when I3C is.
> >
> > Am I missing something?
>
> That should solve another part of the problem, as a combined driver then
> just needs 'depends on I3C'.
>
> On top of that, the i3c_driver structure could also contain callback
> pointers for the i2c subsystem, e.g. i2c_probe(), i2c_remove() etc.
> When the i2c_probe() callback exists, the i3c layer could construct
> a 'struct i2c_driver' with those callbacks and register that under the
> cover. This would mean that combined drivers no longer need to
> register two driver objects.

That should work. Actually, i2c_driver contains a few more hooks, like
->alert(), ->command() and ->detect(). Of course we could assume that
I3C/I2C drivers do not need them, but I'm wondering if it's not easier
to just add an i2c_driver pointer inside the i3c_driver struct and let
the driver populate it if it needs to supports both protocols.

Something like:

struct i3c_driver {
struct i2c_driver *i2c_compat;
};

and then in I3C/I2C drivers:

static struct i2c_driver my_i2c_driver = {
};

static struct i3c_driver my_i3c_driver = {
.i2c_compat = &my_i2c_driver,
};
module_i3c_driver(my_i3c_driver);

Of course, you'll have a few fields of ->i2c_compat that would be
filled by the core (like the driver name which can be extracted from
my_i3c_driver->driver.name).