Possible race in pc87413_wdt.ko

From: Anton Volkov
Date: Mon Aug 07 2017 - 09:22:25 EST

Hello.

While searching for races in the Linux kernel I've come across "drivers/watchdog/pc87413_wdt.ko" module. Here is a question that I came up with while analyzing results. Lines are given using the info from Linux v4.12.

Consider the following case:

Thread 1: Thread 2:
pc87413_init
misc_register(&pc87413_miscdev)
-> pc87413_get_swc_base_addr pc87413_open
-> pc87413_refresh
-> pc87413_swc_bank3
swc_base_addr = ... <read access to swc_base_addr>
(pc87413_wdt.c: line 133) (pc87413_wdt.c: line 146)

So in this case preemptive registration of the device leads to a possibility of race between the initialization process and a callback to the registered device.

Is this race feasible from your point of view? And if it is, is it possible to move the device registration a bit further down in the pc87413_init function?

Thank you for your time.

-- Anton Volkov
Linux Verification Center, ISPRAS
web: http://linuxtesting.org