Re: RFC: Revert move default dialect from CIFS to to SMB3

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sat Sep 02 2017 - 13:09:53 EST

On Fri, Sep 1, 2017 at 10:22 PM, Andrew Bartlett <abartlet@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> My quick research shows:
>
> SMB 2.1 but not SMB3 is on:
> Windows 7
> Windows 8
> Windows 2008
> Windows 2012
> Samba 3.6 and earlier (SMB1 only by default)
>
> SMB3 is on:
> Windows 8.1
> Windows 2012 R2
> Windows 10
> Windows 2016
> Samba 4.0 and above (released 2012)

But most, if not all, of those SMB3 cases _also_ support SMB2.1,
right? So the "3.0 _only_" case ends up being a fairly rare case
where things have been explicitly limited, and any previous Linux use
must have had that explicit "vers=3.0" flag anyway?

No?

Anyway, we can't avoid *some* breakage (ie the places that literally
only support 1.0 will have to add the explicit "vers=1.0" to get the
mount).

And I merged the code to add better error reporting yesterday, so
hopefully regardless of the default we choose the breakage is not
nearly as confusing to people any more.

Linus