Spurious Fatal exception in interrupt, 4.1.43

From: Thierry Moreau
Date: Mon Sep 04 2017 - 17:50:00 EST

Let me report a difficulty with the Linux kernel -- unknown root cause. Basically, this is a FYI message, unless someone sees appropriate to investigate -- thanks in advance.

This is an on-line server with services like DNS, postfix mail, Apache, local wifi, IP forwarding. No GUI. Distribution is Crux, which means a customized installation (e.g. kernel manually configured).

The system ran for two years without significant problems (except for an episode of instability in disk access). Then it started to crash about two months ago and does so once or twice a week. Difficult to pinpoint any environmental factor from the occurrence pattern.

Here is the trace I get from the console.

blk_done_softirq+0x73/0x90
__do_softirq+0xd4/0x1e0
irq_exit+0x7e/0xa0
do_IRQ+0x4b/0xe0
common_interrupt+0x6e/0x6e
<EOI>
lapnic_next_deadline+0x2b/0x40
cpuidle_enter_state+0x9e/0x150
cpuidle_enter_state+0x94/0x150
cpu_startup_entry+0x221/0x2b0
start_kernel+0x405/0x410
set_init_arg+0x4e/0x4e
early_init_idt_handler_array+0x120/0x120
early_init_idt_handler_array+0x120/0x120
x86_64_start_kernel+0xe5/0xf2
Code: ff e0 0f 1f 80 00 00 00 00 48 8b 5f 50 89 74 24 0c e8 c3 fc ff ff 8b 74 24 84 00 00 00 00 00 f0 ff 47 44 e9 57 ff
RIP [<ffffffff8137dd62>] bio_endio+0x92/0xa0
RSP <ffff88021ea03dc8>
---[ end trace b293c5209809c889 ]---
Kernel panic - not syncing: Fatal exception in interrupt
Kernel Offset: disabled
---[ end Kernel panic - not syncing: Fatal exception in interrupt

I upgraded the kernel from 4.1.3 to 4.1.43 and got exactly the same trace after a few days of up-time.

Here are some options I see for the next step:

(A) Upgrade once more to 4.4.x, 4.9.x, or 4.12.x (or 4.13).

(B) Investigate kernel configuration for reliability-impacting options.

(C) Review the system BIOS configuration (e.g. under the hypothesis that interrupt processing calls for a special memory/cache access cycle that is borderline with the current BIOS confguration).

(D) Remove the wifi service (the only "option" from an operational perspective).

(E) Provision a replacement system and remove other services in order to isolate environmental factors (likely to confirm that a useless system is working fine generally!).

(F) Give up with this hardware (and thus deprive the Linux community from possible improvement if some kernel issue was to be identified in troubleshooting ???).

Any suggestion?

- Thierry Moreau