Re: selftests/bpf doesn't compile

From: Alexei Starovoitov
Date: Fri Sep 15 2017 - 14:14:54 EST

On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 11:00:31AM -0600, Shuah Khan wrote:
> >> I could add a special target for bpf TARGET_BPF perhaps and exclude it from
> >> the run_test>
> > I'm not sure what was the motivation to exclude hotplug from default testing,
>
> These are considered a bit more disruptive and were excluded a while
> back. These take cpus and memory on and off-line. Also require
> root access. So even if they are included in the regular run, these
> won't run.

most of bpf tests require root access as well.

> The first failure due to clang dependency is not a problem. The second one
> in the case of "make kselftest" is the one that requires some work when bpf
> make is run from the main Makefile. A lots of users run tests using the
> kselftest target from the mail Makefile. hence I would like to get this
> working, so it would be easier to run this test on test servers.

'make kselftest' doesn't work for me at all, since I suspect it
assumes in-source build. I always use KBUILD_OUTPUT,
since I build multiple archs with different configs out of the same
source tree, so there is a bigger problem here.

$ make kselftest
make[1]: Entering directory `/data/users/ast/net-next/bld_x64'
make: Entering an unknown directory
make: *** tools/testing/selftests: No such file or directory. Stop.
make: Leaving an unknown directory
make[1]: *** [kselftest] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/data/users/ast/net-next/bld_x64'
make: *** [sub-make] Error 2