Re: [v8 0/4] cgroup-aware OOM killer

From: David Rientjes
Date: Thu Sep 21 2017 - 04:30:53 EST

On Mon, 18 Sep 2017, Roman Gushchin wrote:

> > As said in other email. We can make priorities hierarchical (in the same
> > sense as hard limit or others) so that children cannot override their
> > parent.
>
> You mean they can set the knob to any value, but parent's value is enforced,
> if it's greater than child's value?
>
> If so, this sounds logical to me. Then we have size-based comparison and
> priority-based comparison with similar rules, and all use cases are covered.
>
> Ok, can we stick with this design?
> Then I'll return oom_priorities in place, and post a (hopefully) final version.

I just want to make sure that we are going with your original
implementation here: that oom_priority is only effective for compare
sibling memory cgroups and nothing beyond that. The value alone has no
relationship to any ancestor. We can't set oom_priority based on the
priorities of any other memory cgroups other than our own siblings because
we have no control over how those change.