Re: [RFC 5/5] pm: remove kernel thread freezing

From: Jiri Kosina
Date: Tue Oct 03 2017 - 17:01:04 EST

On Tue, 3 Oct 2017, Pavel Machek wrote:

> > Again, I agree that the (rare) kthreads that are actually "creating" new
> > I/O have to be somehow frozen and require special care.
>
> Agreed. Was any effort made to identify those special kernel threads?

I don't think there is any other way than just inspecting all the
try_to_freeze() instances in the kernel, and understanding what that
particular kthread is doing.

I've cleaned up most of the low-hanging fruit already, where the
try_to_freeze() was obviously completely pointless, but a lot more time
needs to be invested into this.

--
Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs